Monday, August 1, 2011

Wing Chun and Hubud

I've stated on many occasions that if I had to introduce someone to the concept of trapping I would initiate the learning curve from the Filipino Martial Arts (in particular Higot Hikot Hubud Lubud) as opposed to Wing Chun (Chi Sao).  I know this will anger some and confuse others, but my rationale is that most people will be able to feed and receive (quickly) the basics behind Hubud long before they will be able to grasp similar concepts in Chi Sao.  I also like the integration of weapons (both impact and edged) that allow me to teach and reinforce the concepts and skills without the training "appearing" repetitive when in reality it is... a little "dog psychology" that works well.

The following video shows a nice integration of Wing Chun and Hubud that will hopefully help you bridge the two concepts and systems.